Saturday, January 5, 2013

Homies and Họ Hàng for the Holidays

This has been the most wonderful holiday season away from home one could ask for.
Since there's been a lot going on for the past couple weeks, I'll sum it all up in visits:

Vanlam and Amelia in Central Vietnam
Since we Fulbrighters were on our way to a conference to Da Lat, Vanlam, Amelia and I met up in Hue so we could explore Central Vietnam prior to meeting the others in Da Lat. We explored Hue and I introduced them to Hue goodies like Cafe Muoi, che sua, and wonderful veggie delights. We also got matching dresses made, which was a boss idea, given that it only cost $25 for a dress that we custom-designed according to the fabric and print I wanted. And nothing beats a dress with pockets.
Amelia, me, and Vanlam rocking our dresses at the Da Lat conference (Credit: Vanlam's awesome camera)
We also traveled through Hoi An and Da Nang, where we took it easy, got haircuts (goodbye, split-ends!), hung out with family and met up with Lesley, a former Fulbrighter and current English Language Fellow teaching at Da Nang University. My dad eventually joined in on the catch-up session at Highlands Coffee, which is basically the Starbucks of Viet Nam.
Like father, like daughter
Lesley and Amelia modeling coconuts along Bach Dang. My favorite thach dua place ever! Featuring coconuts from Ben Tre, which is supposedly coconut heaven
Later on in the evening, my father offered to take me and the ladies around his old 'hood. We stopped by one of my favorite beaches and rode around the city until we craved ice cream.
Love these ladies!
Dad wanted to join in on the picture fun.
My attempt to recreate the baby-freeze picture I took with Thao in Vietnam the year prior.
Vanlam, Amelia and I were leaving for the conference the next day, so that was the last time I got to hang out with my dad. Even though our time was limited, I'm glad I got to spend time with him around the holidays. It made me feel more at home than I had been in a long time.

Fulbrighters in Da Lat
I have never fallen in love as quickly with a city as I had with Da Lat. Every single day was filled with beautiful sunrises, sunsets, chilly yet bearable weather -- maybe because it reminded me so much of what I missed about the Bay Area. 

Vanlam, Amelia and I got into Da Lat a lot earlier than the other ETAers, so we decided to take advantage of our extra day by exploring the city. Just as we were renting motorbikes, Quan and Kate arrived and they quickly got ready to join our adventure.
Rollin' out with our motorbikes. Amelia and Kate always have time to look good. (Credit: Quan)
We motorbiked to the bottom of Lang Biang, which is one of the highest, hike-able mountain peaks in Da Lat. It took us about 5 hours to get to the top and back, and during the hike, we had heavy conversations about our fears, our selves, and of course, what we missed most about the holidays. One of the things I missed the most was hearing my dad's favorite album: Neil Diamond's Christmas - Volume 3. I think I've heard that album several times between Thanksgiving and New Year's each year for at least 10 years.
Kate, Quan, me, Amelia, and Vanlam taking a break to be silly. (Credit: Vanlam)
Lang Biang at sunset. I'm on top of the N (Credit: Vanlam)
After our hike, we met up with other Fulbrighters who were already in Da Lat for a conference and the ETAers who arrived after us at Cafe V. We indulged in nachos, hot chocolate, and each other's warmth, as the temperature had fallen below 60 degrees and we were not at all clothed for the temperature drop.

The rest of the week consisted of us giving presentations about our placement, emphasizing on how we've dealt with cultural adaptation, work with our host institution, work with Fulbright, etc. Everyone gave such inspirational presentations, and I was able to come away with new ideas I hope to implement for the coming semester with my students.

During my own presentation, I brought up the issue of cell phone use in the classroom. I showed a video that had been at least two months in the making, the brainchild of English Language Fellow Andrew and edited by my good friend back at home, Marc. Folks, I present to you: "The Mobile Motto"

Of course, it's not the biggest problem in the classroom, but Andrew and I thought it would be funny since we all have that issue in the classroom, and it was a nice way to bring Andrew to the conference even though he was busy getting married in El Salvador.

After the last day of presentations, we did a white elephant gift exchange and ended the night with an affirmation circle. It was a wonderful way to end our time together; I have come to appreciate every single person in our group since we all first met in August, and I couldn't be more fortunate to be part of such a dynamic group.

Fulbright ETAers wishing you a happy holiday season!
During our last weekend in Da Lat, we continued exploring Da Lat. Some notable activities were visiting Love Valley -- which was perfect for cheesy picture-taking and real conversations about love while swan-paddling -- catching the sunset at Tuyen Lam lake, catching the sunrise outside our hotel, going to Elephant Falls, exploring Cho Da Lat, which is one of the oldest night markets in Vietnam, and indulging in more hot chocolate. I ordered peppermint in my hot chocolate because I was feenin' for Christmas-in-a-cup.
Swanning it.
Our love swing
Sunset along Tuyen Lam lake, perhaps the most expansive lake I've seen in Viet Nam thus far.
Cho Da Lat at nighttime
Elephant Falls
Elephant Fall showers
Big happy Buddha
Sunrise outside Du Parc hotel
Peppermint hot chocolate with Kate and Quan
Christmas in Da Nang
Thereafter, Kate, Quan and I flew into Da Nang to celebrate Christmas with our families. I joined my uncle (by marriage)'s niece's Christmas dinner, and they took me in as their own. We had wonderful bbq'ed beef, boiled chicken, and chicken sticky rice, along with some rich, mocha cake for dessert.

Dinner with the fam!
For the evening, I met up with Kate and Quan to go to church, when we actually really just stood outside and admired the beauty of "Chicken Church," which you usually have to reserve tickets for to attend mass on Christmas Eve.
You don't have to be Christian to enjoy Christmas Eve mass.
We then walked around Bach Dang, had a classy drink at "Memory" bar, where we talked about our favorite Christmas memories, then called it a night.
Quan and I strolling along Bach Dang.
Memory Bar -- best view of the bridge
However, once I got home, my family called me back out to go to Highlands Coffee, which is right across from Memory Bar, so I took a cab back to enjoy banana cake, banh bao from the street, and the company.
The fam again!
Holidays and Homies in Hue
Much like my family does in the States, Vietnamese folks celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, so on Christmas Day, there are just remnants of Christmas decorations to remind you that the holiday is still in effect.

For dinner, I met with Steven, Eva, Jared, and his traveling friends at Duc Ha, our go-to spot. Thereafter, we stopped by Backpacker's Hostel (our other go-to spot) for drinks and a catch-up session since we hadn't seen each other in a while.
Duc Ha
Christmas-in-a-cup concoction: White Russian with peppermint schnapps. Don't mind the tourist in the conical hat in the background.
After Christmas, a lot of friends came through town -- so many events and friends that can only be further described through photos and captions.

Tika, my friend from college, was in Hue for less than 12 hours, as she was on a short Vietnamese excursion with her cousins from Thailand. Here we are gettin' down with banh Hue.
The next morning, I took her to Coffee Bee. Although it wasn't the authentic cafe coc (street coffee) experience, we ordered Hue coffee with the French press and impatiently waited for our coffee to finish dripping.
Thanks for visiting, Tika!
Quan, Amanda and Kate came into town. We went to the Citadel (not pictured), and after Quan left, we went on our own adventures with Hien, my travel agent/friend. Here we are, beginning our tour around the Hue pagodas in the rain.
Modeling in front of another temple/pagoda!
New Year's Eve, we started the night with dinner at a thit rung (forest meat) restaurant, due to Adrian's request, a former Fulbrighter from Saigon who was visiting for Hue for a day with his college friends. Later on, I gathered all my friends and we started off the night at Backpacker's. Best crew ever!
The next day, we groggily walked around the city, got banh Hue, and drank delicious drinks by the river as we talked about life lessons from the past year.
Jan. 2: Hien took me, Amanda, Kate, Steven, Jenelle, and her VIA friend Maria to Huyen Tran temple -- a beautiful temple which is located in a very peaceful part of the province. Here we are, taking a picture in front of the longest coupled dragons in Vietnam.
Hien and I!
Located at the same temple is the peace bell, which should be rung three times for specific purposes for good luck. We placed our lucky Vietnamese zodiac coins under the bell as we rang it, and we now hold onto it for good luck.
On the way to the bell is a huge, smiling Buddha.
After our adventure, we got Cafe Muoi, coffee with condensed milk, fresh milk, and salt. It's amazing!
I came into the new year with a renewed appreciation for my Fulbright scholarship and placement in Hue. Never in my life had I imagined that I would actually have the opportunity to teach in Vietnam and reconnect with my roots, and here I am, doing so with the support of wonderful friends from Hue and Fulbright; relatives and friends in Sai Gon and Da Nang; and family and friends from home. I am truly privileged to be here, and honored to have such an amazing support system.

No comments:

Post a Comment